Sunday, October 12, 2014

Crate End Tables



On a recent trip to my Wife’s parent’s house, we filled the car up with old crates, rusty pieces of metal, and a few legitimate antiques.  My father in law thinks it is hilarious that every time we make the trip out there, our car ends up packed to the brim with things he has been trying to get rid of for years.
I pretend to be annoyed but in reality I like it because it enables projects like the one shown here.  We brought home a matching set of wooden crates with an amazing patina that you can’t buy or fabricate. 
My wife had an idea to make the crates into end tables.  I toyed around with different concepts such as flipping the crates upside down, turning the crates on their sides or ends, but finally I decided to just add some legs to the bottom side and make some lids.



I cut the lids to fit loosely into the crates, notching out the corners so that I wouldn’t have to modify the original corner braces.



The lids can be removed to gain access to items stored inside.  The lids rest on so horizontal supports I added to the inside.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment