Saturday, October 11, 2014

power steering conversion

I've decided to convert my '82 CJ7  from manual to power steering.  I need to add a power steering pump and swap from a manual to power steering gearbox.

I called all of the local junkyards and nobody had any older jeeps of any sort.  So I found a box on ebay, it said it was from a full-size Jeep but no other information was given. 








The input shaft spline count looks like 30 splines on a 3/4" diameter shaft.
The manual steering box I am replacing had a 36 spline also 3/4" diameter shaft.  So the intermediate shaft bell coupler that I have will not fit on the new power steering box. 




Time to add a power steering pump.

 My Small block chevy engine has an open spot on the drivers side.  
 Off to the you pick it junkyard!

This looks like it should work.   I believe it it was an '81 Suburban.
 It's out, looks to be pretty good.


Got it mocked up to my engine.  Had to make a spacer for the header bolt.

Sandblasted the parts and then sprayed them with some high temp engine paint.

Its all bolted in.



No comments:

Post a Comment