Saturday, October 11, 2014

Kitchen Table

I built this table using 4x4's for legs and 2x12's for table top.  Lowes and Home Depot carry douglas fir untreated 4x4's, but they only carry 2x8's, 10's, and 12's in pine.  Douglas Fir is a harder softwood than pine so I was concerned that the two species would take stain differently.  I had to call a few lumber yards until I could find someone with douglas fir 2x12's rather than yellow pine that lowes and home depot carry but eventually found them in the 30' length at a smaller yard.  I had them cut into manageable lengths so I could haul them in my truck.

The table top has biscuits at each joint, and is held together with glue.  I bought some 6' clamps at harbor frieght for ~$12 each and they worked great.  The end boards are also biscuited but because the table is about 9' long I couldn't use clamps so I used pocket hole screws to pull everything tight.

The 4x4 frame has half lap joints almost everywhere, the two angled gusset boards are held together with pocket hole screws.

we found some distressed white chairs at a garage sale that match the style perfectly.








No comments:

Post a Comment